We've been working on it for a year now. We are pleased to announce this upcoming new version of Mobilizon! A new design for the homepage and the search results page, Mobilizon Search Index and many other changes... Let's look around and see what it brings us!
With almost 2 years of improvements, we hope Mobilizon will help you free your events and groups from the clutches of Facebook.
A global search engine to explore Mobilizon
As we know it was not always easy to find events or groups on Mobilizon, we are proud to present a new tool, that makes it easier to discover contents that are published in a federation that is growing every day.
🥁 Let us introduce you Mobilizon Search Index, now available at https://search.joinmobilizon.org.
This tool allows you to search and explore Mobilizon by different ways:
- if you are looking for a specific event or group, use the search bar
- if you want to discover events by subject, browse through categories cards
- if you want to find events nearby, geolocate yourself
- if you want to discover popular groups, there is a category for that!
- if you want to attend online events, we also highlight them
Display, filter and sort criteria
Whichever way you made your search request, you are then shown a results page. You can choose these results display mode (list or map) by clicking on the top-right button.
Then you can filter the results according to several criteria. Look at the left-hand column to see which filters are already active and change them if needed:
- type of content (events, groups or both)
- online events
- event date
- event status (confirme, tentative or cancelled)
You can also sort the results by using the top right button.
- If your results are events, you can sort by 6 different criteria:
- best match (only relevant when using the search bar)
- event date (from earliest to latest)
- most recently published
- least recently published
- with the most participants
- If your results are groups, you can sort by 2 different criteria:
- best match (only relevant when using the search bar)
- number of members (from largest to smallest)
An a posteriori moderated search engine
Not all Mobilizon instances will be referenced on Mobilizon Search Index. This search engine will be based on the list of instances we maintain at https://instances.joinmobilizon.org. This list is aligned with the policy for all of the services we offer:
Thus, if we are notified of an instance where contents explicitly condone terrorism or promote historical revisionism, we will remove it from the index (non-compliance with French laws, which we insist on in our TOS). Such removal will eliminate all events and groups hosted by that instance from the search results.
On the other hand, if one or more people come to abuse the time of our moderators with inappropriate and abusive reports, their words will be discredited and ignored (as indicated in our moderation policy (FR)).
Mobilizon Search Index provides an API that other software (including Mobilizon instances) can use to retrieve events.
The source code, the "recipe" of each of these softwares, is transparent. We publish it on our software forge. Anyone who is able to read this code can do so, and determine if there are tools to cheat with the results display, or others to spy on your behavior.
This is why we made sure, legally and technically, that everyone is free to set and host their own instance list, indexing engine and search site, by copying and adapting what we have created. It is up to you to take the power (and responsibilities) by hosting your own Mobilizon search engine, set up and moderated according to your culture, your indexing policy and your values!
A new design for the homepage and the search results page
We wanted to be able to use on the Mobilizon software all the work put into the Mobilizon Search Index. That's why we have implemented new design for the homepage and the search results page on Mobilizon.
On this new homepage, in addition to a new background image, we have changed the order in which the different contents are displayed:
- the search bar is now more visible and you can precise a localization
- you have 3 categories cards displayed (we highlight those with the most events)
- 2 sections highlight events nearby and popular groups nearby your location (if you use the Geolocate me button or if you precise in your account's preferences a city or region)
- a new section is dedicated to upcoming online events
- a section for the last published events on your instance and its federation
When you use the homepage search bar, Mobilizon displays a new search results page using Mobilizon Search Index design on which you can find all the features detailed above (map/list vue, filter system, sorting sytem). You even have one more critera in the left-hand column: you can choose results in your instance's network or on the Fediverse.
If you are a Mobilizon instance's administrator, you can choose and set up which search engine you want to use by default.
From now on, the section "These events may interest you", placed at the bottom of events, uses new criteria (categories, event language and distance if the event has a physical address) in addition to tags to recommend you more relevant events.
We have also modified many elements of Mobilizon in order not to build up technical debt (switch to VueJS 3, migration of the CSS framework from Bulma to Tailwind, etc.). Those changes will make it easier for us to offer you more features (e.g. a theme system) in the future.
Thanks to NLnet Foundation for supporting this project with their funding: https://nlnet.nl/project/Mobilizon/
Thanks to all the people who contributed to this version, through their work, their feedback, their exchanges, their support.
Mobilizon version 3.0 stable will be released in a few weeks and we will install it on https://mobilizon.fr in a near future.
If you can, please consider supporting Framasoft.
Freely and proudly,